Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Little Italian Cookies

My Nana
I have vivid memories from my childhood of my Nana cooking and baking wonderful food in our kitchen. I would sit wide eyed at the kitchen table watching her every move as she made her wonderful dishes. She would always let me help in some kind of fashion and one of my fondest memories is one where I got to roll out and form the rings for these cookies. Nana never had written recipes and I don't really remember her using measuring cups or spoons. Everything she made was magical and delicious. She called these delightful treasures, Little Italian Cookies.







Italian Cookies printable recipe


6 good cups flour
6 tsp. baking powder
1good cup sugar
3 tsp. lemon flavor
6 eggs
6 tsp. melted crisco
1/2 cups milk
Colored candy Jimmies



Make a pile of dry ingredients. Make a well in the center, add all liquid and eggs. Beat eggs and liquids, pulling dry ingredients in the center until well blended. Knead dough into long a long rope approximately 1/4" thick, from into rings. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake 400 degrees until edges are slightly brown. 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool until all cookies are baked then toss in glaze to coat.


Glaze

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water


Put together in a large pot. Bring to boil for 8 minutes. Place cookies in pan and shake gently so that all cookies are glazed. Toss in colored jimmies and continue to shake pan until icing is dry.


2 comments:

  1. i have a similar recipe, but it uses orange rind. it calls for 14 tsp of baking powder which seems wrong to me.

    here's the recipe: we called them tadolls
    1 dozen eggs
    19 heaping tbsps sugar (2 cups)
    28 tbspns of melted crisco
    rind of 2 oranges
    14 tsps of BP
    2 shakes of salt
    6 cups of flour

    put it together the same way and shape the same.
    do u think this recipe is correct??
    we made it once and they were awful, so something is off, but not sure what..any help u could provide would be most appreciated.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like too much baking powder to me and alot of eggs too! Have you made this recipe? If you did how did it turn out?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!