Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Coconut Raspberry Cookies


When I saw this cookie, The picture reminded me of a cookie that I loved as a child from a well known bakery in the town I grew up in...I had to try it.  I was not at all disappointed!    I adapted this recipe from one I found on tasteofhome.com.  This cookie is wonderfully buttery with a nice chewy texture and crispy edges.  You want to snatch one right off the pan when they come out of the oven, but you gotta wait until they firm up and cool down. That was the hard part!!  Wait about 5 minutes before you transfer them to a wire rack to cool.  Store them in a sealed container....if you have any leftover!!  These won't last long, it is hard to stop at just one!

Enjoy!



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, water and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut (dough will be sticky).
  • Set aside 2/3 cup dough; roll remaining dough into 1-in. balls. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 3/8-in. deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill each with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Cover jam with a teaspoonful of reserved dough; seal and reshape into a ball. Repeat.
  • Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. 

Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Coconut and raspberry...what an interesting combination. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!