Saturday, February 26, 2011

Double Chocolate Potato Brownies



Even though my Dad has been gone for 40 years, I think of him every day.  Many things remind me of him….a few are black licorice, soft pretzels and the smell of pipe tobacco.  February 26 is his birthday, he would have been 89.  One thing that my dad loved was chocolate, I remember him telling my Mom that he loved it so much he would eat chocolate mashed potatoes!   Well, Daddy….these aren’t quite chocolate mashed potatoes but they are the closest that I could find…I think you would approve! 





I wanted to make something with mashed potatoes and chocolate in honor of my Dad's birthday and found this brownie recipe on Cookie Madness.  It was very easy to make and while the brownies weren't as fudgy as I prefer, they had a moist cakiness about them.  The texture was different than your average brownie....but in a very good way!  If you ever have any left over mashed potatoes this is a must try!





Double Chocolate Potato Brownies

6 oz unsalted butter
3 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed potatoes, unseasoned (meaning no garlic or onion)
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cups chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.  Line a 13"x9" metal pan with foil and grease foil.  Melt butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.  Let cool 15 minutes.  Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.  Stir in mashed potatoes until smooth.

Add flour and stir to combine.  Pour into prepared baking pan.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts.  Bake until brownies are firm when lightly touched, about 25-30 minutes.  Cool on rack.  Cut into squares and serve.  Store in a container that allows air.  Airtight containers will be soggy.

Makes 24 brownies


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Chelly for the tribute to your dad. I thought I should bake something chocolate today too, but toasted his memory with a chocolate candy. I know he is watching over you and enjoying the chocolate memory with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very sweet tribute, Chelly. I have no doubt your dad would approve of these chocolate brownies. They look chocolatey and cakey at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!