I had some strawberries in the fridge that were calling out to me to make them into a nice dessert. I saw this nice little recipe for Strawberry Shortcake and it serves 2. Perfect!
I am trying to cut back on sugar so I substituted a little bit of Truvia for the sugar called for in the recipe. I used 2 packs in the scone recipe, 1 pack in the strawberries and 1/2 pack in the whipping cream. It tasted great! The scones turned out light and fluffy. A nice dessert...not too sweet and a perfect ending to a perfect summer day!
Taste of Home
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, mash the strawberries; stir in sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving
- For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar, baking powder, salt, cream of tarter and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Shape into two 4-in. circles. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with half of the strawberry mixture. Replace shortcake tops.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Dollop onto shortcakes.