My first experience with brown butter was with the Madeleines that I made previously, since then I have been obsessed with brown butter. I love the deep rich nutty caramel kind of flavor you get when you brown the butter....who knew! So I was going through some old magazine clippings and found this Pecan Brown Butter Cookie and thought they sounded yummy... I wanted to take it one step further and make them into sandwich cookies filled with caramel. I still have lots of chocolate left over from Christmas so why not drizzle it with chocolate!
I had caramels also left over from Christmas so I cheated and just melted those down for the filling. I realized after I had the cookies in the oven that I forgot to add the brown sugar....argh! Well they turned out ok, but not quite sweet enough. The brown sugar probably would have made them spread out a little flatter. Oh well, I guess I will have to try them again. They did taste good...I think adding the caramel and chocolate helped with the sweetness factor. I used restraint and only ate half a cookie, but I very easily could have eaten a few more!
Pecan Brown Butter Cookies
Makes about 42 cookies
Active time 1 hr Start to Finish 1 1/4 hours
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups pecans (7 oz), toasted, cooled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with racks in the upper and lower thirds.
- Heat butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over medium heat until milk solids on the bottom are dark chocolate brown. Strain through a fine mesh strainer lined with a paper towel.
- Blend cooled brown butter with sugars, flour, baking soda, salt and eggs in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in pecans.
- Spoon tablespoons of batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets, arranging them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake, switching positions of sheet halfway through, until browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack to cool ( cookies will crisp as they cool)
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!