Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rosemary and Olive Oil Chiffon Cake


I wanted to bake something light today...I have lots of Weight Watcher magazines laying around the house and found this nice little cake in the March issue.  I have been wanting to make a chiffon cake for sometime now and I like the tuscan twist on this one.  It was light, flavorful and moist...
just what I wanted!! 






Rosemary and Olive Oil Chiffon Cake
Weight Watchers Magazine, March 2011

1 1/2 c cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
fresh rosemary
7 large eggs, separated, at room tempurature
1/2 c tepid water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 Tbsp confectioners' sugar

  • Place oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees
  • Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.  Whisk granulated sugar and rosemary in large bowl until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Whisk in water and vanilla until blended.  Slowly add oil in thin steady stream, whisking constantly, until well blended.  Add flour mixture, folding it in with rubber spatula until blended.
  • With electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy.  Increase speed to high.  Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form, 1-1 1/2 minutes.  Add beaten whites to yolk mixture, gently folding it in with rubber spatula until blended.
  • Scrape batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan; spread evenly.  Bake until golden brown and cake springs back when lightly pressed, about 55 minutes, rotating pan front to back halfway through baking time.  Invert pan onto its legs or neck or bottle and let cool completely.  To serve, run thin knife around edge of cake and loosen it from side and center of tube pan.  Remove cake from pan and put on serving plate; dust with confectioners' sugar.  Cut into 16 slices.
Per serving (1 slice) 174 cal, 6 g total fat, 1 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 93 mg chol, 147 mg sod, 27 g total carb, 17 g total sugar, 0 g fiber, 4 g protein, 39 mg calcium.  PointsPlus value: 5

FYI  Because extra-virgin olive oil is the primary ingredient that gives this cake it's subtle, rich flavor, we recommend using the best-quality oil you can find.

Enjoy!

Mangiare bene...




3 comments:

  1. Oohh!! I would love a slice of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this cake last night. I had cut the recipe out and just never got around to making it. I like it because it is a WW recipe and it has no milk products (allergies). It is very good. Very light and tasty. Nice with a cup of tea at night. I am going to try to freeze it so I have something when I am craving something sweet. One correction, the recipe I have calls for 2/3 cups tepid water and that is how I made it. Make sure it is completely cooled before removing it from the pan. Next time I am going to add lemon. I think it would work well with this cake. Probable grate a lemon and add to the batter. See how that works and then if it needs more lemon then the juice of the lemon with the tepid water next time. Fruit compote over it would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the correction! I think lemon would be really great. I froze mine too and it worked out really well for those sweet cravings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!