Sunday, August 25, 2013

Key Lime Pie for Christian



My son lives more 2000 miles away from me.  I miss him something awful. I don't get to see him much, the last time I saw him was almost 3 years ago.  So when he comes home I like to make some of his favorite foods.  Key lime pie is one of them.  I had a recipe I always use and this one is very similar but the ingredients are almost doubled and the graham cracker crust has ground almonds in it.  Yum.  This, I think, is the first time I actually squeezed all those little key limes myself...not and easy task but one so worth the effort!  This pie was the best key lime pie I have ever made.  So creamy and just the right amount of tartness.  We loved it!

I got the recipe at Epicurious. It will now be my go-to key lime pie recipe.


Key Lime Pie
Gourmet  | March 2009
Adapted from Town Hall Restaurant in San Francisco, CA


Makes 8 to 10 servings

active time 25 min
total time 10 hr (includes chilling)

An almond-spiked crust and twice the amount of filling you'd find in most Key lime pies are the secret here.

ingredients

For crust:
7 (5-by 2 1/2-inch) graham crackers, broken into small pieces
3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
For filling:
2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
Grated zest of 2 Key limes
1 cup fresh Key lime juice (from about 2 pounds fresh Key limes)
4 large egg yolks
Accompaniment: sweetened whipped cream

preparation

Make crust: 
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter a 9-inch pie plate.
Pulse together graham crackers, almonds, and sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl and stir in butter. Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of pie plate. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. (Leave oven on.)

Make filling and bake pie: 
Gently whisk together filling ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth and pour into crust. Bake until just set in center, 15 to 20 minutes.
Cool completely (filling will set as it cools). Chill pie, loosely covered, at least 8 hours.

cooks' note:
Pie can be chilled up to 2 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!