Sunday, January 1, 2012

ABC: Nut-Crusted Chocolate-Banana Swirl Cake



We are bringing in the new year with a new book to bake from!  This month's ABC challenge is from Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson Dodge.  I am not a big fan of banana cake and even though this one was a bit sweet for my taste it was still very delicious (I liked the chocolate swirled in it).  I do think mine turned out a bit too dense, perhaps my baking powder is getting too old??  Not really sure what might have happened....anyway, I will be sure to buy some new baking powder the next time I am at the store! (not having much luck with bundt cakes lately...haha!)  This recipe was fairly easy.  And though it is not instructed, I do think you need to cream the butter and sugar before you add in the bananas...I had a hard time getting the butter to incorporate.  I also had to bake it longer than 40 minutes....nearly 55 minutes!  I liked the nut-sugar crusting on the outside, it added a nice little crunch.  It also is very versatile, it can be eaten anytime...it would be great for breakfast, as a snack or a dessert....whatever you choose!




You can go here and see what the other bakers did...there are some amazing bakers in this group....sometimes I feel as if I am not worthy!  Lol!  Next time we are going to bake Glazed Cinnamon Rolls...can't wait!  Go check them out and give this recipe a try!  Fine cooking has the recipe here.

Happy New Year!
And as always...
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Your cake is lovely! I am not a fan of banana cake either, but I don't mind having this! Yes, I'm looking forward to make the Cinnamon Rolls too.
    Happy New Year and wish you a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too, Chelly. Your cake certainly turned out beautiful. I'm glad you liked it even though you're not a banana fan. I'm with you on creaming the sugar and butter together prior to adding the bananas. I had to use the whisk attachment on my KitchenAid on high speed to incorporate the butter into the batter and get a nice homogenous batter. But it worked! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Chelly! Your cake looks gorgeous - love the marbling action you got!

    I love the zebra cookies and coordinating kitchen towel (in your title header) - very cute picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Chelly! Looking good, nice exterior! Haven't made this yet.. banana anything is not a favourite here (unless in the skin hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have baked Banana cake couple of times. But i did have mistake so many times. I could not make dough very well. I don't know where i did mistake. I love to read your method.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I blog for your comments...please let me know what you think!!